Thank you!

Thank you for all the support you've given the Climbing Rose Young Adult line of The Wild Rose Press. Our stories are still available on The Wild Rose Press website, however, since we aren't publishing new stories, our blog is no longer active. We thank you again for the time you spent with us and invite you to visit our Climbing Rose bookstore.


She's Got a Crush - Ellz Readz

We're celebrating the upcoming release of The Stillburrow Crush by Linda Kage! All this week, we're posting YOUR crush stories and asking everybody to vote on their favorites. Whoever gets the most votes will win a copy of Linda's fabulous book.

Today's crush story comes from Elie of Ellz Readz a fabulous book blog and review site.

Here's Elie's story:

Once upon a time, in a life not so long ago, I worked in a restaurant that featured musical entertainment on the weekends. One steamy summer night brought in Evernight, a local band that featured a new lead singer from a neighboring town. His dark hair was swept back at the nape of his neck revealing his dark eyes. One look into those deep eyes and I knew I had it bad. He approached me, his easy stride showed his confidence, and I felt my knees go weak. Unfortunately for me, my arms went weak too and the tray of drinks I was holding... well lets just say I cooled off, quick. Rather than freaking out at me for soaking his stage shirt, he gave me a lopsided grin and helped me clean up. In a slur of words, I blurted a lame attempt at humor, "Grace is not my middle name." 'While that was true, it did become my new nickname for the duration of the summer.

He started coming in frequently, especially if I was working a slow night. We would grab a booth and chat over iced tea. We were just friends, although I knew I liked him more than just friends. Occasionally I caught a glimmer in his eye and I got the feeling he liked me too, but I didn't want to spoil a good thing. A favorite past-time of ours became reading the local magazine. It was just a weekly printing of local events and goings-on. We would read the want ads and joke about all the desperate people. We would imagine setting up SWF with SWM with a love of dogs. All the while flirting, in a friendly way.

The summer wore on and we continued our frequent visits. I was planning a move to North Carolina and he was helping me scout for apartments and schools. We had become good friends, but I still secretly wished for more.

The days grew cooler and my departure grew closer. A few days before I left town, I found a copy of the local magazine in my box. It was a slow night, so I decided to flip to the want ads. There was an ad circled in bold marker, it said...

Wanted:
SWF. Must have long dark hair, beautiful brown eyes,
and a knowledge of the restaurant business.
Must love musicians and respond to the name Grace.
Must be able to receive visitors in NC.
Will Miss U



Now to anyone else, this message would have been very cryptic, but I knew exactly what it meant.

I moved as planned to NC. We exchanged a few emails and friendly notes, but I never saw him again. I will however, always remember that summer crush.


What a fabulous story, Elie! Sounds like there's a great YA novel to be written there :) Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

If you liked Elie's story too, pick one of the reaction buttons below to vote for it!

And be sure to stop by Linda Kage's blog for her book launch countdown (today she's featuring a map of the fictional town of Stillburrow!) and check out this great post at Lauren's Crammed Bookshelf for a quick Q&A with Linda (and another great excerpt)!

7 comments:

Kate said...

This is the sweetest story so far. I love it :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Oh my! How romantic! I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing darling!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Ellz! I read this again I loved it so!

Elie said...

Thanks Kate and JuJu!

It was a fun summer. When I visit home, I often drive by the restaurant (which is not a big wing place) It is fun to reminise.

jacabur1 said...

Elie and Blaize this was one of the best ideas for a blog post that I have come across in a while. It was touching and so very well thought out by Elie and it made me read it twice just so I could smile and mist up again!
Elie I will go you one better honey, my summer crush and I are married for almost 29 years now. It was one of those deals where we grew up in the same town and did not "connect" until I turned 18 and had my first job at Dairy Queen no less and from then it was history still in the making.

jackie b central texas

Carolyn Crane said...

Oh, I love the sweetness of this! And the ad. And that you still drive by. LOL... you were both just a little shy, I think. Sigh.

Blaize said...

Thanks so much for stopping by, everybody! So glad you liked Elie's story as much as I did :)