Thank you!

Thank you for all the support you've given the Climbing Rose Young Adult line of The Wild Rose Press. Our stories are still available on The Wild Rose Press website, however, since we aren't publishing new stories, our blog is no longer active. We thank you again for the time you spent with us and invite you to visit our Climbing Rose bookstore.


One Girl, Five Guys, No Date

Today, I'm happy to post a fun free read from Bonnie Doerr. It's based on a true-life experience of hers and she'll be sharing it throughout the week. Take it away, Bonnie!

Dear readers, you have made your Climbing Rose authors a bit nostalgic with all this Prom Mania. I am reminded of an undeniably original fashion statement that won me an early spring day alone with five guys. What odds! A prom invitation was sure to follow.

Stick with me as I dig deep in the archives of the 1960s and pull out a true tale of daring and intrigue. A story from a time when it was scandalous to be seen in anything but coordinating skirts and sweater sets. Nevertheless, it was a time when I boldly risked my reputation by donning a coal miner's coveralls, and then, throwing all caution to the wind, accessorized them with a carbide helmet lamp and a coil of rope over my shoulder. No glamorous fashionista, I was a journalist who believed in total immersion in my stories. While other girls were primping for the prom, I was gathering equipment for a daring assignment alone with five guys--in a cave...


I Was a Teenage Earthworm
reprinted from the South Wind, May 7, 1965
(Names have been changed to protect the innocent.)

"Sure! Of course I can be ready. Six o'clock on the dot. No, you won't have to wait. Not for me!" These were the words I had spoken Friday to George, who was to take me and four others: Nate, Dick, Roger, and Dan) spelunking the next morning.

Have you ever eaten your words?That is all I had for breakfast Saturday morning. I had forgotten when I spoke to George that I would not be coming home until 1 a.m. When I arrived home at 1:15 am, I was so beat that I must not have known what I was doing when I set my clock for 5 a.m., but forgot to turn the switch to automatic.

I awoke to the sweet alarm of the doorbell, sat straight up in bed, and began screaming, "What'll I do? What'll I tell them?" My father groaned from the next room, "Just tell them you can't go. Anything to make them go away and stop ringing the bell."

I ran to the door and stuck my head around the edge, shocking Dan with my 6 a.m. beauty, and humbly said, "I forgot to set my alarm. You just woke me."

I waited for some snide remark about being a typical female and they should have known, but only heard, "Well, we have to go in town after Roger. We'll pick you up on the way back."

Great. I had 15 minutes at the most to clean up, dress, pack lunch, gather extra clothing, and assemble my equipment. Heaven knows how I did it, but I made them wait only 3 minutes upon their return.

Finally we were off. The fun and excitement began as soon as we got on the road. At 6 a.m. there are few gas stations open, and George discovered he was traveling on his spare tank with the warning signal blinking.

END Part I



Coming Next...Would it be five guys and me stuck in the middle of nowhere West Virginia? There were NO CELL PHONES in 1965. Terror in the wilderness! Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Mary Ricksen said...

Those odds are pretty good, especially for a young girl. This is so my time and I remember it so well. I know this book would be right for my niece and then for me!!!!

Laurie Larsen said...

Cute opening! Can't wait to find out what happens next! I hope you at least brushed your teeth, ha ha.

Kitty Keswick said...

Love the picture! When I first glanced at it I thought it was a hat with a rose and then I read the story... wow. I'm not sure I'd brave the cave with, er...spiders and creepy crawlers. But major kudos to you. I can't wait to read the rest.