Thank you!

Thank you for all the support you've given the Climbing Rose Young Adult line of The Wild Rose Press. Our stories are still available on The Wild Rose Press website, however, since we aren't publishing new stories, our blog is no longer active. We thank you again for the time you spent with us and invite you to visit our Climbing Rose bookstore.


Chatting with Jane Greenhill

Jane Greenhill's wonderful new book, I Was a Teenage Alien releases next week and Jane will be our featured guest blogger, too. So I thought it would be fun to get to know her and learn a little bit about Alien at the same time.

So, Jane, I love that your heroine, Oas, is an alien. Do you think most teenagers feel like aliens at times?

I grew up in the country and attended a country secondary school. We were somewhat sheltered from the realities of gangs but they still made their way into our school with the ‘cool kids’ laying the rules. My ‘gang’ of friends weren’t the trendsetters, one is now a professor at a major Canadian University and we spent most of our time with books, but we had fun. In fact, not too long ago I saw one of the cool kids driving a cab in our little town. Now I work in a high school in an affluent area in Ontario. I see the same cliques as when I was in school, feeling the same alien-ness that some of them are going through, and I give them a smile and I hope they stick by their beliefs, their individualism and convictions, because these aliens are the leaders of tomorrow.
You also write adult mysteries, what draws you to the mystery genre?

Aww, the luxury of killing off people who annoy you :0) Seriously though, I grew up reading Nancy Drew, and a good friend of mine worked for the police force as a civilian. When I graduated from secondary school, I was accepted at York University, University of Toronto and Ryerson College for journalism. However, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do and didn’t want to waste my parents money, so I thought I’d work for a year. I drove by a recently built police station which looked like something out of Battlestar Galactica and thought it looked like a cool place to work. Besides I was 18 and the thought of handsome men in uniform was extremely appealing—see I did look up from a book every once and a while. I joined as a civilian and met my handsome police officer, married him and twenty-five years later, we’re still together. One police officer I met who we told we’d been married twenty-five years, said he’d been through three wives during that time. Being married to a police officer is extremely interesting and I’ll discuss it in my blog.
Why do you want to write YA?

I have 2 boys 16 and 12 who can’t find anything they like to read, so I thought I’d write a book directed towards boys. I wrote Vortex to the Ojibwa while I was at our cottage. We were having a new septic system put in and the owner of the company and I got to chatting. He told me that they had acres of fields and had to block up cenotes because the cows kept falling into them. Well, remembering a cenote from when I was in Mexico, I thought they were just deep lakes they used to throw virgins into. He told me the cenote in his property was a deep hole. His son climbed down into it and found an Indian arrowhead. The arrowhead wasn’t from the Mohawks in the area, but from the Mammoth era. Well, needless to say that got the creative juices flowing and I had to write about it. In Vortex to the Ojibwa, time traveling siblings get more than the summer they bargained for.

Here’s an excerpt:

“This dial up service sucks big time,” I whined to anyone who would listen, but unfortunately the only ears belonged to my brother Bobby and the ears in question were large, dumbo sized. He, of course, had his stupid head stuck in a book.

See what I was forced to put up with.

A brother who reads over summer vacation. Why couldn’t I have a cool brother, like my friend Eve? Her sib Samuel was a lifeguard and camp counselor and the love of my life. Too bad he didn’t know I existed.

What books did you love when you were a teenager?

I remember and still love R.F. Delderfield. He wrote of England, (a place I’d never been too, but am actually going this summer to celebrate our wedding anniversary) and in particular a book called Diana. It’s still my all time favorite book. I’d read anything I could get my hands on and always had my head stuck in a book.
What inspires you?

My family and friends continue to amaze me. A dear friend/sister-in-law has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Her concern is less for herself than for her husband. She is truly my inspiration as she continues to look on the bright side and won’t let the disease beat her.
What’s going on around you when you write?

Utter chaos. I write in ‘our front room’ which is where our television is. The boys are usually playing Xbox and while I’m getting lost in the zone, they’re playing Call of Duty. I’ve tried writing when they’re at school, when the house is quiet and I can’t. I have to have the distractions of everyday life in order to be creative.
Jane, thanks so much for chatting with us. I'm looking forward to your posts next week!

4 comments:

Teresa Reasor said...

Jane:
Congratulations on the release!!!! Can't wait to get my copy of Teenage Alien.

I can't write at all with noise as a distraction, so I put head phones on my head and listen to instrumental music to block out the noise. I really wish I could though.

One day I'm going to get to Canada and will swing by your house so you can sign your books for me.

What's next? Another murder mystery? Or another YA?

Write on,
Teresa Reasor

Mary Ricksen said...

I went to secondary school in Ottawa, Hillcrest High School. Ever heard of it?
I think having children makes you able to tune a lot of things out. I have to have quiet to write. No TV, no nothing, except maybe the wind, rain, or other sounds of nature.
I gotta give you credit for being able to do that!

Laurie Larsen said...

Jane, I really enjoyed your introductory interview and I'm looking forward to your blogs this week!

Elaine Cantrell said...

Congratulations on your new release, Jane. It sounds wonderful.