Thank you!

Thank you for all the support you've given the Climbing Rose Young Adult line of The Wild Rose Press. Our stories are still available on The Wild Rose Press website, however, since we aren't publishing new stories, our blog is no longer active. We thank you again for the time you spent with us and invite you to visit our Climbing Rose bookstore.


Gen Y and the Art of Multi-tasking!


Hello everyone! I’m thrilled to be joining you this week as the guest blogger for the Climbing Rose blog. As I mentioned in my introductory interview, I’m a Climbing Rose author with my first Young Adult (YA) novel coming out in July. I’ll tell you more about The Chronicles of Casey V, OR Mental Ramblings of the Most Awesome Summer of My Life in a blog later this week.

But today I wanted to blog about a topic I find particularly interesting and that is: generational differences. Everyone who’s living today belongs to an identified generation, and they are called:
· Veterans (people born between 1922 and 1943)
· Baby Boomers (1943 – 1960)
· Gen X’ers (1960 – 1980)
· Gen Y’ers (or sometimes called Nexters) (1980 and beyond)

Each generation has core attributes associated with it. That doesn’t mean every single person within the generation has all those attributes – that would be stereotyping. But in general, the different generations have certain attributes that have formed that group of people because of the things that were going on in the world during their formative years. Since this blog is for YA’s I’ll focus on the generation most of you fall into: Gen Y!

Here are the core attributes that commonly define your generation:
· You’re optimistic
· You have a strong sense of civic duty
· You’re a confident generation
· You have made strong achievements
· You’re extremely sociable
· You have strong morals
· You have street smarts
· You understand and embrace diversity
Hey, as far as generational attributes go, Gen Y’ers really have it on the ball! I wouldn’t mind being part of your generation myself.

One thing Gen Y’ers are very comfortable with is multitasking. I have two teenage sons. While we’re at a sporting event, they’ll text their friends throughout the entire game, yet never miss a key play. They’ll listen to music while doing homework and never skip a beat. In fact, I am pretty good at multitasking myself, although I fit into the generation before yours. I never watch TV without doing something else at the same time. While I’m watching my favorite shows I’ll always be folding laundry, texting my friends on the cell, checking my favorite websites or my email. I guess because we’re so into technological gadgets these days, it makes it easy to do multiple things at once.

How about you? What’s your best example of multitasking? How many different things do you do at once? And do you ever feel like you sacrifice quality on each of the tasks, or do you feel you’re at the top of your game when you’re handling everything at once? Leave me a comment and I’ll provide an incentive for the best multitasking story out there: I’ll send an electronic copy of Casey V to the one I judge to be the best multitasker!!

Thanks for visiting this week! I’ll be back with another topic in a few days.

Laurie Larsen

PS: While I was writing this blog I was also watching a movie on Lifetime network and doing the family’s weekly laundry!