Thank you!

Thank you for all the support you've given the Climbing Rose Young Adult line of The Wild Rose Press. Our stories are still available on The Wild Rose Press website, however, since we aren't publishing new stories, our blog is no longer active. We thank you again for the time you spent with us and invite you to visit our Climbing Rose bookstore.


Four Wheels a-Screeching

While behind the wheel during driver’s ed, high school sophomore Kate Sterns inadvertently foils an escaped convict’s getaway. When her heroic actions land her face on the front page of the Wainscott Gazette, she thinks her life is over, and it is, at least her life as an ordinary anyway. Overnight she is plucked from the ordinaries and plopped into the “in crowd.” At first Kate is in denial of her status change, but then she likes it, that is until she’s labeled a snob, her locker gets trashed and one other minor thing-- she’s being stalked.

Ordinary Me by June Sproat, available from Climbing Rose of The Wild Rose Press

Excerpt from Ordinary Me:

I gripped harder trying to keep my sweaty hands from slipping off the steering wheel. I hit the gas andpulled the wheel hard to the left, instead of the right. Coach totally did not expect this, since he told me to go right. It seemed like it took forever for this to register in the Coach’s brain, which gave me enough time to hit the gas again—hard.

Coach was slamming that extra brake on the passenger side that’s installed on Driver’s Ed cars; and our car started skidding.

I jerked the wheel back the other way, still sliding across the wet pavement like we were on ice, and stopped directly in the line of the police cars. Oh yeah, we also did a complete 360. This was actually kind of cool, except that is for the sirens and the cops.

I couldn’t help but think this day couldn’t get any worse. I was losing control of the car, my mind, and I guess, my mouth, too. I started babbling about Chemistry and Mums, and, oh yeah, the cute guy in the backseat, who doesn’t even know I’m alive. It really doesn’t matter because I’ll probably be dead soon anyway!

7 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

This excerpt makes me want to read the book again.
It's a great book and I highly recommend it for not only YAs but also the older crowd - believe me I'm way older!
Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Pamala Knight said...

Excellent excerpt, June! I'm so excited about reading this. Thanks for posting.

Renee Knowles said...

Wonderful except, June! This is on my TBR list, and I think the premise is fabulous.

Hugs,

Renee
www.reneeknowles.com

Debra St. John said...

I LOVED this book! And I can't wait for your short story, June.

Marilyn Brant said...

June, what a wonderful excerpt! And I love the "12 YAs of Christmas" blog theme :). Happy Holidays!!

Rebecca J. Clark said...

This book sounds great. I think my teenage daughter would love it. Thanks for posting.

Kitty Keswick said...

I love your book too. It was one of the first books I purchased from TWRP.
Do you do signed bookplates?
Kitty